Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ceremonies for Certificates of Completion

This year I had two 'formal' ceremonies to hand out certificates to students for participating in English class this year. At Vila Andrade, this happened during a Sunday evening church service, and many parents of mine and the art class came. The students each entered as their name was called, followed by a time of singing and message by the Pastor. Then the art teacher spoke and had one of his students talk about class, and I followed with a Powerpoint presentation of this year's English students, which they all liked, and then called on six of my students to come and tell why they wanted to learn English. Some answers were, "wanting to travel to the US" or to "help when I grow up with a job" to "wanting to be a pediatrician." Two of my students recited a Bible passage and a poem in English, which was great.

At the Lar site, certificates were handed out on the last day of classes during each of the morning and afternoon sessions for English, hairdressing, baking, and art classes. I again had a Powerpoint presentation and for both here and Vila Andrade, I gave a speech in Portuguese, which was my first time doing such a thing. My Portuguese teacher helped me greatly, which I very much appreciated!

Vila Andrade
The kids dressed up quite a bit here - boys with ties and girls in beautiful dresses - what a sight!




LAR Batista
Students getting their certificates.


No comments: